Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Welcome to our blog

Many of my colleagues in the paper business across the country (and even in Alabama, technologically backward as it is often portrayed) have turned to blogging as a way to augment their news coverage. Not a bad idea, I found myself thinking when I learned that Demopolis Times staff writers are now keeping their own weblogs. So I went out and got me one. This weblog, should it succeed, will just be another forum for me to interact with our readers, and one that I hope will allow us new ways to get to know each other. 

I'm not quite certain what it will ultimately turn out to be, but I hope to use this forum as an informal way to keep readers posted on developing news items in Perry County, and to give my own opinions on ongoing stories we cover in print. I also expect this will be a good format for news items that just don't "fit," either literally or figuratively, in the paper. 

Each posting will also offer a space for comments from readers (if there are any), and it is my wish that you, dear (potential) readers will have a chance to let me know what you think – about local and state news, about the paper, about Perry County, and about life in general. I'm actually pretty excited about the exchange this format promises. 

Finally, this is a new project. I can't predict, yet, how often I will update – though I plan to post stories throughout the week. I hope you'll join me here online as we continue our conversation on public affairs and community happening. Believe me when I tell you that there is no place in the world I would rather live than Perry County, and it's because of you. But in print, the conversation feels kind of one-sided. You get rather lonely. I invite you, then, to visit perryherald.blogspot.com regularly, and talk back. 

See you soon. 


No comments:

Post a Comment